India First Leadership Talk Series with Shri Mahesh Babu, CEO, Mahindra Electric Mobility Ltd.

Date: 23 th May, 2020
Time and duration: 1:00PM to 1:30PM , 1/2 Hr
Resource Person with affiliation: Shri Mahesh Babu, CEO, Mahindra Electric Mobility
Program Theme: MIC Driven Activity
Approximate no. of student participants: 6
 To understand the Scenario of Auto Industry in Post COVID-19 times.
 To chalk out the Opportunities and threats to Auto industry in coming times
 Scope of increasing demand of Electric Vehicles in future
 Role of Auto Industry and specially Electric vehicles in Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan
Benefit in terms of learning/Skill/Knowledge obtained:
 The lecture was very much helpful for the students to motivate them for entrepreneurial endeavours in future. Also, it was helpful for the faculties to understand what are the Opportunities and threats to Auto industry in coming times and what are some of the underdeveloped fields of auto industry which can be used as an opportunity for new start ups in future.
Overall report of the activity:
The session focussed on the Scenario of Auto Industry in Post COVID-19 times. Accordingto Shri Mahesh Babu, CEO, Mahindra Electric Mobility Ltd, the auto industry is currently having a De - growth and needs restructuring in terms of improving efficiency and understanding the changing Value of Customers in Post COVID times. According to Shri Babu, Auto industry forms 7% of total GDP and 50% of Manufacturing industry and thus is very crucial. The industry has posed many threats and learnt many lessons in current times. 70% of the workforce has been working from home and is able to manage many activities except production which has also resumed with limited staff. There is a need to revisit the business model, concepts and products, to find out effective ways of manufacturing, meeting etc. and way of doing Business. Shri Babu informed that Mahindra group has recently launched digital experience of being in a car for its customers. We need to understand the Customer Value composition in Post COVID times. There are chances that preference for personal Mobility in terms of two wheelers and cars will increase in comparison with public transport as a measure of precaution. But, at the same time increasing trend of Work from home may reduce the need of Mobility as such. In this case, electric vehicles may prove to be an effective and cheap alternative for short distances with their low operating cost and better efficiency. It also supports make in India concept as 70% of its parts are made indigenously. But the remaining 30% including the lithium batteries have to be imported. Here lies the opportunity for technology based start ups in various fields such as Battery management system, Motor controller, cell manufacturing, Battery pack etc. But as this needs big investment, government should support such start-ups in order to boost the Atmanirbhar Abhiyan of India. Upon discussing the role of Institutions in this situation, Shri Babu pointed out that institutions need to work on skill development and increasing the employability of the students and also work upon their soft skills.Overall session was very enlightening, highly motivating and very much relevant in present scenario.